What’s new at Honey Bee Suite?
As many of you know I’ve been working on several upgrades to this site with the goal of having them in place for the 2013 bee season. Upgrades to my server package were completed in November and now the site is loading faster than ever.
It took me a long time to decide on a new WordPress theme. I finally decided on this one—creatively named “Website”—for several reasons. Most importantly, it is fully responsive to mobile devices which are being used by a large percentage of my readers. The old theme, although I liked it, was only partially responsive. But in addition, my old theme did not support some of the new WordPress features such as “post formats” which are a cool idea.
By using post formats, posts can be sorted and searched by type (quotes, videos, asides, etc) as well as categories and tags. In-house search is important to me because a lot of the content in Honey Bee Suite is buried. Quite frankly, even I have trouble finding it, and I hope this change will help. Since this theme has only two columns on the front page, I will be using the right column exclusively for search tools and subscriptions.
All the other information that was in the left and right columns has been moved to the footer or to separate pages. Nothing is gone, it’s just rearranged.
Other changes include the following:
- The front page is now a static page, not a blog page. However, the three most recent posts will still be on the front page for your convenience. To see older posts, you have to go to the blog. There are links to it in several places.
- Just below the header photos, breadcrumbs point out where you’ve been so you can go back there if you want.
- A new section called "featured columns" appears just below the breadcrumbs. Featured columns will point to new information published in the pages, rather than in posts. When pages like “bee forage” or “beekeeper’s calendar” contain new items, the featured columns will alert you to that.
- Below the featured columns is a "notice board." Once you close the notice board it won’t reappear on your computer until I change the notice. It won’t appear at all on mobile devices.
- Below the notice board is the most current blog post, followed by the two previous posts.
- Below the three recent blog posts is something called “featured posts.” These are old posts resurrected because they are timely, relevant to a current discussion, or just due to come out of storage.
The last thing: why green? First and foremost, I like green. It is often used to symbolize nature, spring, fertility, growth, health, renewal, environment, and tranquility. It is also supposed to be easier on the eyes, especially in bright sunlight where you may be using your iPhone. I may tone it down if it gets overwhelming. Basically, it’s a “try-it.”
The changes are not complete; I still haven’t formatted the pages the way I want them, and I haven’t added all the galleries, portfolios, and sliders. Nevertheless, you should be able to find what you’re looking for while I continue to tweak the details.